Sunday, 16 February 2014

Uluru & Kata Tjuta Photo Diary

Uluru, Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre of Australia, red sand, Northern Territory, Ayers Rock



Uluru, Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre of Australia, red sand, Northern Territory, Ayers Rock

Uluru, Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre of Australia, red sand, Northern Territory, Ayers Rock

Uluru, Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre of Australia, red sand, Northern Territory, Ayers Rock

Uluru, Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre of Australia, red sand, Northern Territory, Ayers Rock

Uluru, Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre of Australia, red sand, Northern Territory, Ayers Rock

Uluru, Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre of Australia, red sand, Northern Territory, Ayers Rock

Uluru, Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre of Australia, red sand, Northern Territory, Ayers Rock

Uluru, Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre of Australia, red sand, Northern Territory, Ayers Rock

Uluru, Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre of Australia, red sand, Northern Territory, Ayers Rock

I would like to acknowledge the traditional owners of this land upon which these photos were taken, that of the Anangu people. I would also like to pay my respects to those past and present. 

The 'Red Centre' of Australia is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated places in this country. People frequently hop on planes to Cairns, Melbourne or Perth but rarely do I see Australians travelling to Uluru. Maybe it's because I hang around hardcore city dwellers.

Uluru (or Ayers Rock) is situated in the Northern Territory away from the chaotic screams of the major cities. I previously never got the hype of the big red rock until I laid my own eyes on it - indeed it was awe-inspiring ... majestic. Probably the least commercial place I have ever been to, everything there oozes a quiet spirituality. At home, I would have never hesitated to suffocate the nearest creepy crawly with my deodorant. But here, I do not dare to kill a fly (although they are a pain in the backside when they swarm around your eyeballs).
On top of that, the stars seemed to have aligned on this trip - Valentines Day, Chinese Valentines day, full moon on the lunar calendar and sensational weather. Coincidence or fate? Either way, we were very blessed.

The Indigenous Australians believe in sustainable living, in other words, surviving off the land for food, water and shelter. According to their traditional stories (the Mala story in particular), every crevice, cave and waterhole which make up Uluru was created for a reason. Every game they kill, plant they pick and seeds they sow serve a particular purpose. Because of this cultural relevance, my fellow travelers and I had to be extra careful about where we tread, what we collect and even the whereabouts to take our shameless selfies.

Follow me: Bloglovin ... Etsy ... Twitter

17 comments:

  1. Sharon, these photos are incredible! Such a beautiful place, will definitely need to book a trip there one day! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos:)) x
    Bianka
    http://ruhamania.blogspot.hu/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to go explore anything West of the Eastern Coast. The furthest I've been is Adelaide, but I guess that doesn't count. I want to go during winter in the hopes the weather would be better. I am so jealous at how flexible you are, I can only arch my back - I couldn't lift my legs up and like that. Damnnn

    www.rosa-dyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been meaning to organise a trip to Uluru - and this post has convinced me even more to book it asap. I think it would be beautiful to just be in that environment, and listening to the stories passed on for so many years.

    www.dazeandamuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are absolutely gorgeous. This trip looks amazing! I definitely wanna get myself to Uluru one day.
    http://noise-and-confusionn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos, you captured it beautifully x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning photos! Wow, you are very acrobatic and flexible!

    Mel
    http://melandeve.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful!!

    xx MJ
    http://shopaholic-thoughts.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful pictures!
    www.fashion-bakchic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!! I really like your blog!
    You’ve got a new follower on Bloglovin! Hope you'll follow me back! ♥

    xx
    Nathalie

    http://www.nathalie-kemna.nl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice blog of yours. You have really a good style.
    Would you like to follow each other?
    Let me know:)

    With love,
    Vilma

    http://cantellyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! Great shots! It's soo beautiful there!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.HeyLoveBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. just incredible!!

    xx

    http://spoonfulofdiamonds.com
    http://www.facebook.com/SpoonfulOfDiamonds

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would fuck that

    ReplyDelete